Today, girls continue to encounter significant obstacles to their well-being and success.
78% OF GIRLS are unhappy with their bodies by age 17.
3 IN 10 GIRLS will become pregnant before the age of 20.
1 IN 5 GIRLS will be a victim of childhood sexual abuse.
The Girls Inc. experience helps girls to grow up:
Strong: Girls gain knowledge to embrace physical activity, positive body image, and nutrition while decreasing or delaying substance use and risky sexual activity.
Smart: Girls increase their love of learning, improve performance in school, and aspire to and plan for education beyond high school.
Bold: Girls build life skills to set and achieve goals and increase resilience in the face of obstacles to live productive and fulfilling lives.
- A safe place where girls’ interests, opinions, and concerns are valued by adults and other girls
- Trusting relationships with adult mentors with expertise in issues girls face
- Experiences that broaden girls’ horizons and counter stereotypes
- Curricula built on research that provides age-appropriate knowledge and builds girls’ skills
- Hands-on, challenging, and fun activities that encourage girls to embrace learning
- A consistent presence from elementary through high school that helps girls make positive choices and plan for their futures