DEPARTMENT: School Age Child Care Program
REPORTS TO: Director of School Age Child Care Program
OVERVIEW: Girls Inc. of Lynn is a nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring all girls to be Strong, Smart and Bold. Since 1942 we have been responding to the changing needs of girls and their families by providing essential resources and challenging programs to low-income girls ages 6 -18. Girls Inc. of Lynn seeks a Literacy Coordinator to plan, implement and coordinate all components of the Literacy program for girls in grades K-6, and create positive relationships with members, and oversee the library.
STATUS: Full –Time / Monday – Thursday / 32 hours per week during the school year and special projects and additional hours during the summer months.
- Develop and creative, hands-on literacy curriculum with staff to augment programs
- Identify girls with low reading scores and provide one-on-one tutors with staff or volunteers.
- Test all K-3 members with DIBELS Next at least three times annually
- Find free book sources and provide numerous free book distributions to our girls
- Communicate with Girls Inc. national and assist in trainings as needed
- Keep the library clean and organized, and purchase new books when funding is available
- Organize a team of literacy volunteers and interns and coordinate with volunteer coordinator
- Provide training for new staff and volunteers as assist with planning sessions as needed
- Work with families of struggling readers to help them support their children to become capable readers
- Create relationships with schools so we have access to teachers and literacy coaches
- Provide support to Homework Help program
- Help to organize family gatherings including, family literacy night, Operation SMART Night, Halloween, Thanksgiving and summer send off and summer end celebration
- Help Director with QRIS requirements and assessments
- Provide other duties as assigned by Program Director
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Education, Library Science or related field
- Minimum two years’ experience working with school-age children and experience in creating and planning youth programs
- Ability to problem solve, be flexible, imaginative and innovative
- Massachusetts Driver’s license required and must be willing to obtain a 7D license
- Strong group facilitation skills
- Certified in First Aid and CPR
- Ability to work with youth representing diverse cultures, ethnicities, languages and abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and the Internet
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
Hourly Rate: $20/hour
Conditional offer of employment will be made to the selected applicant following successful completion of a CORI check.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to: Mamanzueta@girlsinclynn.org